Grief & Loss
Healthcare Provider Information
Grief and loss are part of every stage of kidney disease, and support services may even be appropriate in anticipation of a patient’s death. A family’s need for support doesn’t end with the death of a patient. Bereavement services are available across the province.
If appropriate, offer bereavement support after a patient’s death via a condolence card and/or telephone call. You may have played an important role in that patient and family’s journey with end-stage kidney disease and the opportunity for closure can be beneficial for everyone.
- Grief & Loss - Patient Information
- Call 2-1-1 to help find community and social services in a specific part of the province
- AHS Layers of Grief Brochure
- My Health Alberta: Grief & Bereavement
- Inform Alberta
- Saying Farewell: A guide to assist you with preplanning and with the death and dying process.
- Alberta Funeral Service Association
- Canadian Virtual Hospice
- Calgary Grief Support program and brochure. People can self-refer by calling 403-955-8016
- Bereavement resources in Edmonton
- Pilgrims Hospice